Monday, April 27, 2009

Reflection on the excursion to the National Gallery of Art


I really enjoyed the speech we attended as well as the exhibition of Robert Frank's work. One thing i vividly remember was the fact that Robert Frank had to select those few pictures, which we could see at the Gallery, from probably over several thousand photographs. This must have been a extremely time-consuming work. However, by knowing this, one might even more appreciate his selection.

Nevertheless, I would like too point out something else. After the exhibition we still had time to explore the rest of the National Gallery. The excursion had been my second time at the Gallery so have had the chance to see most of the works. However, there was one picture by Albert Bierstadt from 1858 that was called "Lake Lucerne" and was painted with oil on canvas.
I don't know what it was but this picture made me stand on in front of it for a least 20 minutes. It depicts a beautiful Swiss landscape that reminded my of my former visits to Switzerland and Austria. Once one has actually seen how beautiful those countries are, one might has the chance to fully comprehend the magic of Albert Bierstadt's picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment