Friday, April 17, 2009

Response to the William Irwin Thompson's reading

William Irwin Thompson mentiones four different levels of reading Grimms' fairy tale of Rapunzel: the literal, the structual,the anthropological, and the cosmological level.
Before I read the text I hadn't been familiar with Thompson's theory. I really think it interesting in how far he analysis Grimm's fairy tale of Rapunzel. Especially what he mentions about the antropological and structual level really seems to correspond to also present TV shows or movies. When I was reading this passage, I had to think about the TV series "Scrubs". By taking a closer look at it, one can easily detect reoccuring patterns.
However, I don't necessarily agree totally with what he states about the cosmological level in whoch one realizes that the story is also about the setting up of an order that is planetary. By reconsidering his arguementation I have to admit that it makes sense and also seems to be logical; but nevertheless, I think that this interpretaion is kind of far fetched.

No comments:

Post a Comment