Saturday, February 21, 2009

Response to the movie "After Life"

After Life

The movie "After Life" tells the story of 21 people who have to select one specific memory or experience from their entire life. The memory can either be a pleasant one but also a negative one. This particular memory is recreated and made into short movie by team of filmmakers. The 21 participants have 3 days to decide which experience they choose; and the filteam has one week to produce the entire movies.

As the movie shows, the cooporation with the participants can either be easy and very productive but also sometimes tedious. Some of them just can't choose a memory and some of them simply don't want to. However, the audience gets to know that all the people who are working for the filmteam hasn't been able to decide a memory for themselves.

I truly liked the idea of trying to reproduce a memory or experience of individual persons. Thus, people have something about their life that can be shared by others even after their death.
Nevertheless, while watching the movie, I expected a little bit more from the end. I can't really explain why, but I somehow thought that the memory recreation of the respective persons were some kind of a "Good Bye" ritual in life.

Another thing that made me think was the fact that all these people whose memories were reproduced were so satisfied with the work of the filmaker team.
I figure to reproduce someone else's memory is a very tough challenge that requires a certain touch of instant feeling. In my eyes, I am not quite sure if I really wanted my favorite memory to be recreated. Maybe I just want to keep it in my mind the way I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment