Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Scrapbook Entry 1: The "Gun"


The "Gun"



The object on the picture probably looks familiar to all St.Mary's students who have been at the Arc. However, when I saw the "The Gun" for the first time, I was both, unsure of what is actually was and also excited about using it. "The Gun" is a machine constructed for the sport of basketball. With its long extensions which are connected with each other through a net, is has the ability to catch most of the missed shots on the basket. Its shape is perfectly adjusted to the shape of a basketball hoop.

It drew my attention immediately because, since I have been playing this sport as long as I can walk, I had never seen such a machine that makes it possible to work on your shot without always running after your missed shots. It furthermore has the ability to pass you the ball periodically. It is up to the user whether he wants the ball to be passed to himself every third, fourth, or fifth second. The user moreover can decide if he wants the ball to be passed always to the same spot or I am quite sure that those machines are not common usuage in Germany, even for professional teams.

In my eyes, this machine should not be considered to be some kind of art, because its only purpose is to make the basketball practice/workout more efficient.
However, I was deeply fascinated when I saw it the first time; and I can't wait to show this picture to my basketball colleagues in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment